Description of the city
Mannheim is located at the confluence of the Rhine and the Neckar in the southwestern part of Germany. The city is at the centre of the densely populated Rhine-Neckar Metropolitan Region which has a population of 2.400.000, making it Germany's eighth-largest metropolitan region. Unusual for German cities, Mannheim’s streets and avenues are laid out in a grid pattern, leading to its nickname "die Quadratestadt" ("the City of Squares"). It is home to major international corporations and has a vibrant cultural scene, holding the title of "UNESCO City of Music". With its inhabitants originating from 170 countries and a lively queer community, Mannheim is a city of diversity and vibrance.
Population: 317.744 inhabitants (31 Dec. 2015)
- To act into civil society, raising awareness for LGBTI issues, fighting LGBTI discrimination, furthering equal opportunities and quality of life for LGBTI individuals and thus fostering a social climate of mutual respect.
- To implement an anti-discrimination strategy – based on the Yogyakarta Principles – within the city administration to guarantee equal opportunities for all employees of the City of Mannheim.
In line with the city’s overall diversity and anti-discrimination strategy, the City of Mannheim has established a permanent LGBTI Office at the Mayor’s Department. Two LGBTI Commissioners concentrate previous individual collaborations with local NGOs and draft an overall strategy to fight discrimination and further equal opportunities for LGBTI people.
Long term focus areas:
- Development of an LGBTI anti-discrimination and diversity action plan
- Development of an LGBTI equal opportunities plan for the employees of the City of Mannheim
- Diversity management, intersectionality and collaboration with the Equal Opportunities Commissioner, the Commissioner for Migration & Integration, and the Commissioner for People with Disabilities
Thematic focus areas:
- Transgernder & Intersex issues
- LGBTI health
- LGBTI refugees
Publications and other materials
- Mannheimer Bündnis für ein Zusammenleben in Vielfalt (in German)
- Mannheim Statement on Living Together in Diversity (in English)
- Homosexuality and Islam: Being both LGBTTIQ and Muslim?! (in English)